Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Response to Kim


1. What does de Zengotita mean by "optional"?


From our conversations I get that Zengotita is talking about a reality that is subconsciously mediated by public opinion.

2. OK, fellow mediated person, what is your constructed identity and lifestyle?

I am an offshoot from 90s skateboarding culture with a hint of late 90s Indie, all of that melding into a professional business woman with a hint of a quirky multimedia producer in the attire.

3. de Zengotita writes, "Some people refuse to accept the fact that reality is becoming indistinguishable from representation in a qualitatively new way." Are you aware of this? Do you think about it? What do you think about it? Or is this a pretty new idea for you? If so, how do you feel about it?

Sure, I think this all started for me when I was just becoming a teenager. With the rejection of labeling and the desire to be unique. This desire grew into another culture for the rest of my generation. I think this is nothing new. It happens in every generation.

4. de Zengotita writes," The problem with trying to comprehend the process of mediation is that you can't get outside it." Can you imagine a way to get outside it? If that was your assignment, to get outside of the mediated world/environment, what would you do?

I would study reflexivity and then practice it.

Questions about my work in relationship to the reading: You can see my work on my website at kimrusso.net

1. I think my work has the "whatever" quality to it that de Zengotita describes. Do you agree?

No, I think your work is mediated by your desires. Not sure how to answer this one. It might just be my disdain for the word "whatever," getting in the way.

2. I also think my work plays with the range between the real and fabricated/mediated that de Zengotita describes, and I present that range on a level playing field. Do you agree, or not--and why?

3. What else can I/should I do to more successfully describe, in my work, the mediated/optional environment we live in in America?

I really don't like it when the word "we" is imposed on me. Or the broadness of the conversation. I think that you should make work that is indicative of your opinion. I also think you should make "beautiful" work.

4. What is the similarity or difference between the "tone" of de Zengotita's writing/analysis and the "tone" of my drawings?
Imposing, frightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment