Tuesday, February 22, 2011

answers to Jeremy's questions

1.Does the premise of condensing hundreds of religions and philosophies into one 2 hour-long documentary seem ill-serving to the history and magnitude of the subject matter?
I had a similar conversation back in high school with a history teacher. I believe it is important to consider the author of this video. Where is the information coming from? When creating a video you are at the mercy of yourself and who ever else in involved. The information you get can be terribly one sided, or terribly without sides. That may be something in the back of many peoples minds when learning and reviewing information. I think that most valuable experience is your own and the experience of those who you know. I think this video is valuable for what it is.

2. Do you consider your religious or non-religious beliefs before creating art? Not all of the time. Sometimes it does come into play when I am thinking about certain realms of culture. I suppose all of my beliefs and values come through, whether I am conscious of it or not.



3. Sartre's understanding of life is that it reflects the experience of one's existence. How does your artwork reflect the experience of your existence?
Completely. I work directly from observations.

4. "The fact that we all suffer from the day we’re born to the day that we expire…is funny." What part should humor play in the discussion of religion and mortality?
Should, no need for anything to be exact. Some say we laugh at other peoples pain because of empathy. A certain nervous reaction, maybe.

5. Is it ultimately futile for me to investigate an experience I may never consciously take part of?
No, but because your are conscious I think it may be one of those inevitable things.

6. Is my pursuit of personal meaning through the creation of art absurd in relation to my perception of the meaninglessness of the universe?
damn, the hell if I know.

7. If I was to die and "become my past" as explained by Sartre, how would my artwork play a role in that process? Would my work become the past as well?
Only if you made the history books for your art. Or if your family remembered you for your art. etc.

8. Am I qualified to explore death in my work? Does one have to be personally touched by death to be able to explore it in their work?
Well, you technically are dying. So gods speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment