Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Five year plan.

In five years, I would like to be working as a creative director for an advertising agency;with the ambitions to one day be a professor.
To do this I will need to work my way up the advertisement food chain. Starting by making one penny into two by living a reasonable affordable life. Cutting down expenses, eating at home, spending more time practicing and continuing my education at home.
I am applying as an intern at JWT, W+K, and the Mill. These are reasonable goals, but very competitive positions. If I do not get a position at any of these places I have back up plans. I recently started a job with a local production company working on the business side, rather than the creative. I have held a paid internship at a production company in New York, they have offered me a job.
So no matter what I will be making the salary I desire. Now the focus is on personal growth. I admire people like Milton Glaser, people who were fine artists that moved into the AD world and changed the way things work.
Milton Glaser talks about how when he first started out he could make a peach pie out of a pile of shit; in other words, he made it happen with what he had, and worked for people he didn't want to work for.
I will do what I have to do over the next 5 years to get where I need to be. I will learn what I have to learn. Enroll in what ever classes I need. Watch any tutorials that will be of help. I will use my free time to develop myself not only as a person, but as a professional.
I will do good deeds. I will do extra work and not charge for it. I will stay late, be the first person in. Take out the trash. Run the errands. Do what ever it takes to get my chance.
I can only place myself in situations. My life has worked out perfectly by living this way. I have crawled out from living in the backseat of my car to holding two jobs and going to College full time. I am proud of myself.
In three years, I will be apart of a company, still working my way up. In one year, I will be apart of a company, working my way up.
In six months, I will learn which company will take me on. I am saving money and getting prepared to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment