Tuesday, March 29, 2011

1. Trevor von Eeden said that he learned to develop his own style by studying his own doodles. What sort of things have you observed about your own practice that you've been able to more consciously apply to your own work?
Well for me, I value experimentation..the experiments creep into my work and sometimes strengthen it. I learn from "doodling."

2. "By making the extraordinary ordinary, it elevates your spirit." Is there an artist for you that you think exemplifies the sort of ideals von Eeden attributed to Neal Adams (similar to his analogy of what Bruce Lee would mean to a martial artist)?
Well, no. I have a hard time idolizing people specifically. I recently listened to a Ted Talk that featured a poet named sarah kay...Her words were powerful..visually and spiritually...and I really looked up to that piece...but it wont stick with me for long..I'll be enamored by another artist soon..and will move on from them as well.

3. Von Eeden's work in comics developed independent of fan reaction. Has viewer response had an influence on your work? How much? SImilar to Eeden I have no clue what people think of my work..I made a painting recently that someone liked...when i was showed it in class I had a pretty poor review...I have decided to make more of these paintings..because it was liked by someone...but I had almost thrown it out, because the critique I got made it seem worthless
4. What's more satisfying: the work? Or the piece that work produces?
That's a tough one. Lately I havent felt a lot of catharsis from working..I think thats more of because where I am at now..graduating..money stresses..medical issues..etc...so with all of those stresses I have made a lot of commercial work..and the commercial work feels great when its done and out in the world..because it has a purpose that it is fullfilling...I feel passionate during pre production..production..and then outreach...postproduction is very stressfull.

5. Does my work tell you anything about me/my experiences?
Sure you are drawing from observation..I see you looking at the back of peoples heads a lot...but really..i havent spoken with you enough to say much more than that..

6. Do you think those experiences/personal biography is even relevant to what I produce? Sure..it might help you and help me to understand where you are going..and what you could do next..

7. "...I'll never stop seeing my mistakes." Does my constant self-criticism of my own work affect your opinion of a piece I've done?
I think that sort of thing may help drive you to change your line work..or to take more time...etc..but I think it could also be damaging in the way that Von Eeder was damaged by his peers..he deserved to feel supported and encouraged..but if he couldnt feel that way about himself...then it wouldnt matter if anyone else believed in him either.

No comments:

Post a Comment